Thursday, November 4, 2010

Orson and an Ode to an Onion...

     It was with great difficulty that we decided on a new name this week.  As I mentioned before, we tried several different options.  We almost settled on Baloo, but somehow it just did not fit.  Baloo is a Bear and guide in the Jungle Book.  "Orson" is Latin for Bear and captures the quirky, sweet gentleman that Koda embodies.  Also, Orson Wells narrated the famous War of the Worlds and Orson Scott Card has a wonderful book series. One of my favorite quotes from O. Card:  "Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space." Yes, I am a literature junkie.  Several of the titles here are allusions to works I love.  SO Koda is now Orson or KodaOrson as Kevin is calling him.

     Dr. L received the Lab reports back Monday, not surprisingly Orson is Hypothyroid.  We started meds yesterday, which are very inexpensive (around $10-15 per month).  He is on 1.0 mg BID of the generic soloxine. The medication will help with Orson's weight loss, which is great news!    Weigh in is next Tuesday, keep your fingers crossed!!!!
Sweet Mayans or Walla -Wallas?
     Orson is such a soulful malamute. Today he spent some time absorbing sunshine and contemplating onions.  He adores the garden and rambles through plants inhaling the vibrant odors.   I think he would enjoy Pablo Neruda's Ode to an Onion:
You make us cry without hurting us.
I have praised everything that exists,
but to me, onion, you are
more beautiful than a bird
of dazzling feathers,
heavenly globe, platinum goblet,
unmoving dance
of the snowy anemone
     He is such a handsome dog; a woman in my history course saw his picture and gushed about how striking he was.  Orson is simple a love sponge.  He has only met my mother once, but Woo-wooed at her today like she was his favorite person. 
Sun salutation...well almost
     On other "dog" fronts, we received an update on a previous foster, Bella, who is doing very well in her new home.  It is so joyous to know fosters have found their forever homes with great people.  It has been crazy!  A friend & fellow volunteer stopped in yesterday to meet Orson.  I am no longer shocked by his size, but she was!  I forget how huge he is!  Hopefully not for too much longer, though.
     Orson enjoys the girls' company best, and tolerates Zeus.  I am anxious to see how this dynamic will change as gains energy.  We had a friends GSD over last night and Orson was not impressed.  I think it was a combination of another male dog and much higher, more intense energy level of the GSD.  Based on this new observation, I think Orson will need a home with relaxed buddies.  My cat, Amadeus is ignoring Orson for the most part.  There are still no signs of "ohh, looks fuzzy kitty treat!" from Orson, but that may change, too.       

1 comment:

  1. He looks so dang happy out in your garden - I can hardly stand it. I'm so glad you are fostering him! Can't weight (pun intended) to see how he tips the scales next! :-)

    ReplyDelete